Frequently Asked Questions

  • 1. Why should I study abroad ?
    • The main reason you should study abroad is so that you can get a quality education, great international exposure and then come back to help in the development of Nepal. Your long-term prospects and chances for further study are enhanced greatly with a degree from a good institution in the UK, USA, Australia or any other advanced country.

  • 2. How do I apply for study abroad ?
    • Once you have either decided on a program or made some preliminary decisions about the type of program you are interested in contact our Study Abroad Coordinator (Counselor), for an appointment. If you have any further questions want to have instant answer you can even connect to your Facebook network at

  • 3. What can Yale do to help me ?
    • We provide the service of career counseling. Under it we examine students qualifications and experiences, profile, preference, socio-economic background, purpose of study and conduct the process of recruitment, counseling and enrolment. Also we support visa documentation and provide updated visa information. It is very critical to up to date on the visa policy because requirements can change suddenly.

  • 4. When does the program tuition have to be paid ?
    • Some countries has policy to pay the tuition fee and secure the place then apply for the visa like New Zealand, UK etc. and some country has policy that once student secure visa need to pay for the fee like USA etc.

  • 5. Is it necessary to take the TOEFL/IELTS to study abroad ?
    • If you are going to an English speaking country, chances are that you cannot avoid taking the TOEFL or the IELTS. Most countries will have English courses for students who do not have a TOEFL or IELTS test result but it is always better to take these tests in Nepal and then apply for a visa. You should do so because a good TOEFL or IELTS score is the best way to demonstrate that you have the language proficiency to be able to survive in an academic atmosphere that in native English speaking in nature.

  • 6. What is the Test Format ?
    • All candidates are tested in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking Modules. There is a choice of Reading and Writing Modules, where a candidate can either opt for Academic or General Training Module. The first three Modules- Listening, Reading and Writing- must be completed in one day. The Speaking Module may be taken, at the discretion of the test Centre, either seven days before or after the other three modules.

  • 7. What + 2 scores do foreign institutions look for ?
    • Colleges and Universities abroad look for decent +2 scores IN ADDITION to several things. If you have a first division, there is no need to worry but a score lower than 50% may reflect the fact that you do not have the ability to succeed academically in a foreign institution.

  • 10. How can I get a visa ?
    • Getting a visa in most countries is a matter of demonstrating that you can succeed academically, prove that you have the means to be able to afford all the related expenses and establish that you will return upon the completion of your studies.

  • 12. Is it really necessary to take the GRE and GMAT for admissions in Universities ?
    • If you want to join a Master’s course in a university, it is strongly recommended that you sit for the GRE or GMAT. Without a GRE or GMAT score, you may not get into the kind of institution you deserve to get into. Also, a strong GRE or GMAT score is a great way to demonstrate that you can excel academically at a master’s course abroad.

  • 18. What are the prospects when I return to Nepal ?
    • Much better! Employers give preference to candidates who have completed their education at a quality institution in a developed country with good marks. The long term prospects are also great. In addition, the cumulative knowledge and exposure you garner at a reputed institution in an advanced country will stand you in good stead in your professional like.

  • 2. Can I apply for the schooldirectly ?
    • You are advised not to apply the schools directly. When applying to a school directly, you are on your own. However, with us you have professionals to help you all the way with almost no or with very small cost. Applying directly to an overseas school, the process can be complicated and confusing. Most schools do not provide online applications and it’s complicated to complete the application. You need to contact with the schools, request an application package or download application forms, transfer application fees and deliver application documents. Schools process hundreds of applications each term. So it’s difficult to get a response about entry requirements (as sometime it varies from country to country), program details and your application status. Many students complain that nobody replies to their emails in timely manner, and sometimes their calls are not answered satisfactorily as administration staff cannot communicate in English.

  • 3. What help can I get from Yale Education Consultancy ?
    • Yale Education Consultancy offers a range of information about courses, educational institutions and life in Japan. We offer advice and services to find a suitable school according to each student’s choice, take care of all their paper works for enrollment, visa process, air-ticket and accommodation.

  • 4. When should I apply ?
    • Applicants should apply for their chosen school and course at least six months before the starting date if they are planning to come to Japan with a student visa.

      Deadlines for applicants who need student visa are as follows:

      Deadline                                             Stating date
      July-September                                   January
      August-October                                   April
      January- March                                   July
      February-April                                    October

  • 5. Can I pay the school application fee after I get admitted ?
    • No. Schools require the students to pay the application fee before submitting the application. Otherwise your application won’t be processed.
      Note: before we submit your application to the school, we will check it and all the documents with the school. If it is acceptable by the school then we proceed and ask you to pay the above fees (school application fee).

  • 7. What is JLPT ?
    • JLPT means “Japanese Language Proficiency Test”. It is the most-recognized test to assess your Japanese language skills. You will need to reach certain levels of JLPT (N1 or N2) in order to be admitted to Higher Education Institutions.

  • 8. What do I need to be admitted by a school ?
    • You only have to be more than 18 years old and have completed High School. If you intend to take an intensive Japanese language course, we recommend that you start learning it in our consultancy prior to joining a program in Japan.

  • 9. How can I get a visa to study in Japan ?
    • Getting a visa to study in Japan can prove to be somewhat troublesome. A lot of paperwork is required and it can take a long time. But this is one of the services provided by Yale Education Consultancy: we basically take care of everything and help expedite the process.

  • 10. Is there an age limit to study in Japan ?
    • There is no age limit to study in Japan. However, if you are over 30 years old, chances are that the Immigration office will look more closely at your application. If you want to know about your specific situation, feel free to contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

  • 11. What city shall I choose ?
    • Obviously, this is a personal decision, depending on your preferences and depending on your objectives. For example, if you intend to look for a job after your language studies, you should consider choosing a school in Tokyo, by far the largest city in Japan. You would then increase your chances to find a job that suits you. The climate is also something to consider: if you cannot withstand the cold, avoid Hokkaido. If, on the contrary, you intend to spend a summer in Japan and hate a very warm weather, then Hokkaido would be a good place for that matter. Take the time to consider all the criteria that are relevant to you.

  • 12. How can I find a place to live in Japan ?
    • Our experience shows that it is preferable to choose housing while in Japan. So we recommend you to either find a short-term solution, enabling you to look for the perfect place later when you are in Japan.Also, your school will be able to assist you.

  • 13. Is it possible to work while studying ?
    • Yes it is possible,as a student, you are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week. If you want to work in your free time, you must get permission from the immigration office.So, before you start looking for a job, you must apply for the permission. Once you get the permission (which is almost always granted), it will be effective and valid even if you change your jobs. When you extend your visa, the permission can also be extended. To apply, you must submit the form “Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” and show your passport. The form is available at the Immigration Bureau and there is no fee to apply.

  • 14. How much should I budget for daily expenses ?
    • Provided your breakfast is taken at home, you can count 1,500 Yens for the other meals. To that, add 1,000 Yens for transportation and/or other expenses. In other words, with 2,500 Yens (about 23$ or 20 Euros) per day (not taking into account school fee, rent and utilities), you cover daily expenses.

Can't find the answer to your question?
We're happy to help. You can ask us in all sorts of of ways. Call us at +977 1 4421920 and speak to an Education Counselor. Email us at or ask us a question directly on Contact Us and we'll get back to you ASAP.